Eco and Gardening
Before Christmas, gardening club entered the 'Grow on, film it' competition held by Trees for Cities. Unfortunately, we didn't make the shortlist, but we loved making the film so thought we'd share our efforts with you. The children wrote their own lyrics for our gardening version of '12 Days of Christmas'. Thanks to Dan and Ed for their help recording the track, and to all the children who took part. Here it is!
What does the Green Team do?
The Green Team are responsible for:
- Switching off unused lights
- Looking after plants in the classroom
- Closing open doors so we can keep the heat in
- Making sure monitors are switched off when not in use
- Sowing, weeding and watering
- Taking care of the willow
- Raking and collecting leaves
- Harvesting fruit, flowers and vegetables
- Teaching their friends to look after the environment
Green team assembly
There are two gardening clubs at Stoneydown: one for the infant site (Thursdays, in the first half of the autumn term and in the summer); and one for the junior site (on Fridays) which will begin in the second half of spring term. The children sow and maintain a wide variety of vegetables, plant bulbs, grow flowers from seed and learn about the wildlife we encounter in the garden.